Categories:

Shafty Phat-C Diablogs Astros Baseball Fantasy Sports The Arts

Monday, May 22, 2006

You Mean "Shite for Brains" was Already Taken?

I never wanted to have the very first entry on my very first blog read like something that I would expect every first-time blogger's first entry to read:
"Uh, so this is my blog about life, the universe, and everything. I like puppies and walks in the rain. If you want to reply, feel free to comment or sign the guestbook or some crap, and I'll obsessively hit F5 about thirty times a day hoping that somebody left a comment."
Fortunately, the mere task of finding a name for this blog gave me AMPLE time to think of an appropriate first entry:

Searching for an Unused, Witty, and not Overused Quote with
which to Name One's Blog is not as Easy as I Had Assumed.

So much for just making it easy for my friends to find the page by giving it an address such as shafty.blogspot.com. Already taken. My next thought, then, was to borrow from a rather unfortunate event in my formative years: my father's having called me "shit for brains" once. So shiteforbrains.blogspot.com seemed to have a promising start. Yet, once again, that URL was also unavailable. Blogger posited that I instead consider "shiteforbrains-shafty.blogspot.com" or "shafty-shiteforbrains.blogspot.com" but both of those seemed to be getting a big longwinded, don't you think?

As with about a hundred thousand or so other bloggers out there, then, I opted to borrow a phrase from one of my favorite movies of all time: "This is Spinal Tap". If you're looking to find a phrase from a popular movie that's well-known enough to avoid having your friends say,

"Smell... the glove? What's that from/about?"

but not so overused (e.g., anything from a Mike Myers movie) as to make all of one's friends groan or complain,

Just forget about it.

They're all taken. See what I ended up with? Unless you're a pretty big Spinal Tap fan, "Smell the Glove" probably doesn't make much sense. That I chose the trite black template for this blog out of homage to Smell the Glove, which had been described as "how much more black could this be? None more black [which, by the way, was another blog title that somebody else had appropriated]" will probably also be lost on the majority of people who visit (or, more probably, don't visit), too.

Ah, well. It is what it is. Smell the glove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home