Categories:

Shafty Phat-C Diablogs Astros Baseball Fantasy Sports The Arts

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Need to "Hate" More Often

Astros 5, Twins 3
So it's the fifth inning of last night's game, and I call up 'ole Shafty, who's trying to spend some quality time with his son, to complain.
"You know, I hate this team right now," I say.
"Why? What happened now?" Shafty answers.
I then give the rundown, as if he wants to hear every detail... at least, I assume he does because I don't stop to ask. Nevertheless, by the time I'm done, the Disastros suck, aren't making the playoffs, etc.
An inning after I hang up the phone, the Boys in Brick do it again. This franchise, throughout my entire life as a fan, has done the same thing time and again; and no matter how prepared you are for it, you still can't help fluctuating between hating their guts and buying their celebratory DVD, narrated by Dennis Quaid, that looks back at their remarkable run to the 2005 World Series (it's quite cool, actually).
Last night was no different. As soon as I'd given up on them, they came back and won the game. Adam Everett answered the question I've been asking thus far this season: Does Adam Ever-hit? He busted out three hits, two of which were clutch doubles, and had two RBI's. Pfc. Mendoza even got what amounted to the game-winning hit to score Skull Cap from second.
Needless to say, I'm VERY pleased with the outcome, especially since they overcame what looked like another loss to rally and win. What's more, Shafty and I will be at the game tonight for the Rocket's Return.
You know, last night's experience reminded me of a little "hex" that Shafty and I put on each other in the spirit of friendly competition. We'll head to the arcade after lunch for some air hockey, and one will inevitably "hex" the other with the following phrase: "You ready to kick my ass?"
What that really means is, "Prepare to have your ass kicked." So the opposite meaning is actually intended. Perhaps that's what happened last night. If so, I need to "hate" the Astros more often.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shafty said...

The Astros should get prepared to get their asses kicked tonight.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Phat-C said...

I know... I'm predicting 2-0 Loss. Clemens: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 K's. Pen: 3 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 K's. Offense: 4 for 30, 6 K's, 0 R.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home